Using JATS-XML with InDesign
A Value-Discovery Session for Journal Publishers
Ictect, Inc. and independent consultant Bill Kasdorf, Principal, Kasdorf & Associates and past president of the Society for Scholarly Publishing invite you to join us for a 1-hour webinar focusing on using JATS-XML with InDesign. We will provide demonstrations including tools (InDesign and Word) and standards (JATS-XML, ARIA, HTML and EPUB).
You will learn about:
- Setting up styles to work from JATS files as input, and why that is ideal for journals
- Importing JATS into InDesign with a pre-existing set of styles to automate the flow of article
- Managing text changes (author alterations) made at the composition stage
- Creation of EPUB from JATS-XML using Ictect software
- Conducting a proof of concept with Ictect
Presentation 1 — Zak Mazur
- Introduction and Announcements
Presentation 2 — Bill Kasdorf
Presentation 3 — Pradeep Jain and Piyush Wakde
- Demonstrations with InDesign and Ictect software
More Information and Open Forum Discussion
- Get answers to your questions from industry expert Bill Kasdorf and Intelligent Content Architect Pradeep Jain
- Learn more about doing a proof of concept with Ictect software
Speakers and Facilitators
Kasdorf & Associates, LLC
Bill is an experienced technical consultant, past president of the Society for Scholarly Publishing (SSP) and a well-regarded speaker and educator. He is Principal of Kasdorf & Associates, LLC, a publishing consultancy focusing on accessibility, XML/HTML/EPUB modeling, information infrastructure, and workflow. In his consulting practice, Bill has served clients globally, including large international publishers such as Pearson, Cengage, Wolters Kluwer, Kaplan, and Sage; scholarly presses and societies such as Harvard, MIT, Toronto, Taylor & Francis, Cambridge, and IEEE; aggregators such as VitalSource; and global publishing and library organizations such as the World Bank, the British Library, the Asian Development Bank, OCLC, and the European Union.
Founder and Chief Content Architect
Pradeep is Founder and Chief Content Architect for Ictect, Inc. His specialization is in Intelligent Content, Semantic Technologies, High-quality XML, and Content Architectures for large-scale applications. He has extensive experience in modernizing document lifecycle for the Department of Defense, Book Publishers, TechPub Departments and Journal Publishers.
Director of Marketing
Zak Mazur is a seasoned communicator with a rich and varied writing background. Zak has worked as a newspaper reporter and as an editor and writer for the Zoological Society of Milwaukee – Wisconsin's largest nonprofit. In addition to writing and editing, Zak has years of experience working in media relations. He has obtained coverage for clients in major national print publications, such as the Wall Street Journal, and on major national broadcast outlets (CBS’ “Morning Show,” Fox News Channel, and more.) Zak has also worked as a copywriter and marketing content specialist for several tech companies. A graduate of the University of Wisconsin – Madison with a B.A. in History, Zak later obtained a Graduate Certificate in Professional Writing and Communication from the Department of English at the University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee.
- Feel free to submit your questions about journal publishing workflows in advance. We will incorporate them in the webinar.
- We welcome your manuscripts. If you would like to submit sample manuscripts that can be used in the webinar, please send emails to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Webinar participants may consider the following next steps:
- A hands-on immersion experience at Microsoft Technology Center for editors and production staff
- One-on-one discussion of cost-saving opportunities with Office 365 and Intelligent Content
- A proof of concept for your organization
For More Information
Please visit the following sites for more information: